Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Inner Wendy Peffercorn

I guess it’s true that doing any one thing for a significant length of time will inevitably leave you with some habits. Well, my one thing that I did for a significant length of time (7 years to be exact) was lifeguarding. Now, the lifeguarding you see in the movies and lifeguarding in real life are two very different things; sure, I had my moments of adrenaline where I pulled a kid out of the pool who had drifted a little too deep, and I even called 911 once when a kid banged his head and couldn’t feel his toes. But the vast majority of my lifeguarding experience can be summed up in one word: “WALK!” If I had a penny for every time I told a kid to walk, I’d be swimming in a sea of copper. I never thought much about this until after my third year of lifeguarding. I was at the mall with some friends and we were talking and walking and having a grand old time, when, all of a sudden, a young child bolted past me. Without pausing, hesitating, or even consciously realizing what was going on, I immediately called out, “WALK!” Wow. And that was it. That was the moment I realized that a certain inner part of me, some quiet piece of my soul, was and always would be a lifeguard. Well, as time continued on its jolly way, I continued to hone my skills at biting my tongue and holding myself back whenever the unexpected impulses arose in any given situation: a child running around a playground at a park; a youth racing to catch a bus; a parent rushing to grab something they forgot. Walk, WALK, WALK!!!!

Eventually, I got to the point where I no longer had to stop myself. In fact, I wouldn’t even think twice when I saw someone running by. Aha! I had come off conqueror—I had broken the habit of 7 years to tell someone to walk when they were running. But my pride celebrated my victory prematurely. Indeed, this very day, as a 22-year-old super-senior college student who had long-ago ended their lifeguarding days, I had a relapse. I was walking through campus today, and another full-grown adult college student came pounding towards me. Without stopping, hesitating, or even thinking, my lips parted, my mouth opened, and just as the first sound emerged from my throat I realized, “WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING???” In the nick of time, and with only a slightly awkward guttural noise, I smoothly opened my mouth even wider and turned the whole embarrassing situation into a very believable yawn, if I do say so myself. So, I guess I’m not as much of a conqueror as I thought I was—and now I’ll believe them when they say old habits die hard.

--Heather

5 comments:

  1. Heather - You make me laugh and I love you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!!! So funny, heather! Keep 'em coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty innocuous residual reflex. I mean wouldn't it be worse fi you compulsively started rescue breathing on every winded person you saw? Thanks Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is so cute! Both of you are excellent writers! I feel the idea to "walk" instead of "run" through life is so profound too. We are all often too busy to appreciate and enjoy the little things in life around us that brings such great joy. Thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Brooke...I appreciate that thought. It's so true--too often we run right past the good in our lives. Maybe we all just need veteran lifeguards to tell us to "WALK!" more often! :)

    ReplyDelete