Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Sights and Smells of Autumn


Don't you love the fall? For so many reasons this season pulls at my heartstrings. Its sentimental, musty smells and warm, cozy colors seem to infuse graciousness into everything.

Yesterday I paused at my front door as I arrived home to take in the richness of color. Looking down as I stuck my bronze key in the door, I saw my plum coat, mustard sweater, brown shoes and the orange jack-o-lanterns on the porch. Is it strange that I delight in rich colors? There is something soul soothing about these ones.

Autumn smells are another one of my sentimental delights. Like the slightly tangy, sweet smell of pumpkins freshly carved. The earthy, damp fragrance of crushed leaves that line the gutters and litter the sidewalks. How about wet cement after rain? Or smoky chimneys sputtering, implying the reawakening of fireplaces long asleep.

The stormy weather lately hasn't bothered me. I like to look out my window at work and see Y mountain, spattered with oranges, golds and greens, standing out against a blue-gray backdrop of ominous sky.

I had a special treat a few weeks ago to spend an hour on the Aspen Loop photographing color. The colors of change. I've shared some of my goodies with you. Isn't nature glorious in her 4 sectioned lifestyle? What are some of your favorite things about fall?
-Allison

2 comments:

  1. Soup. Sweaters. Nobby gourds and pomegranates. Love the new blog, my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the two of you are doing this blog. This is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete